Sunday 12 July 2009

Fighting the panic


It's dark, there's not much air, you're squeezing your body through the smallest gaps imaginable and you're way underground. Well what else would you do on a rainy afternoon? I was beginning to regret saying yes to the caving adventure and was fantasising about sitting on the sofa and watching crap TV for the rest of the day.

However, Adam was as enthusiastic as ever as were my pals from London - so off we went.

It isn't a glamorous hobby, overalls, wellies, helmets and torches...crawling around in the mud on your hands and knees. On one occassion I do have to say I felt the onset of a little panic come over me as I started to think about the roof caving in on us or running out of air down there. Breathe and relax and try to enjoy it, I kept telling myself. However, I soon forgot about the rising fear as I was busy watching Adam contort and squeeze his way through the tiny gaps. All the time thinking if he can get through then I definitely know I can and please god don't tell me we have to come back this way - isn't there any easier way out?



A couple of hours was enough for us so Heidi, Chris and I headed back out. Adam gave us strict instructions not to get lost and off we went. Well we didn't get lost but I had an anxious few moments while we were trying to figure out where the exit was. Good skills Chris for finding it for us. Never again will I take for granted fresh air, space and being able to actually stand upright!!


Caving - a great adventure but probably a one off, as groping around in the dark in tiny confined spaces definitely isn't for me.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! Not for me I feel...closet claustrophobic, pardon the pun.

    ReplyDelete